Welcome to MAPS Transportation
The goal of the Manistee Area Public Schools Transportation Department is to provide student transport between home and school in a safe and efficient manner. We have assembled information below to answer your questions and provide resources for your transportation needs.
Transportation Challenge Update
August 29, 2022
Our district, like most other districts, is facing a great challenge in hiring enough qualified bus drivers to safely and efficiently transport all students to school. Our Transportation Department has been working tirelessly over the summer months to identify additional drivers and to plan pick-up and drop-off routes.
Bussing for the first days, and maybe even weeks, of school may be a bit challenging. We are working to onboard more drivers and are hopeful that we will be able to grow our team to the number necessary to transport all students as soon as possible. We ask that you have patience with our drivers and allow flexibility as we meet this challenge.
We thank those who filled out the transportation survey. With this information our Transportation Department has altered routes and stops, some bus routes will now be two routes in order to keep a safe number of riders per bus. To prevent overcrowding, the bus drivers have been calling registered students to confirm addresses, contact information, and travel times.
PLEASE NOTE: If you were NOT contacted by the bus garage directly, please make plans to transport your child to and from school. Because call volume is high, and most routes are currently full, please expect to furnish transportation on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week (Aug.30 – Sept.1) until safer alternatives can be arranged.
If your student has not registered for transportation, you can be added to our waiting list by filling out the form at the link at the top of this page, or by calling 231-723-4821.
We are working to ensure that transportation goes as safely and smoothly as possible as we begin the school year. Questions about bussing can be addressed by our transportation office at 231-723-4821.
Location: 602 E. Parkdale Ave., Manistee, MI 49660 | Map
Telephone: (231) 723-4821
Transportation Office Hours: M-F: 8am – 3pm
View Transportation Staff
General Transportation Information
The goal of the Manistee Area Public Schools transportation department is to provide student transport between home and school in a safe and efficient manner. In keeping with this fundamental purpose we offer the following information:
- Generally, Kennedy and MMHS students who live within 1 ½ miles of their school are not transported; this is consistent with State of Michigan guidelines. For the Manistee Area this means West of US-31 to Cherry Road and South from River Street to 12th Street. Exceptions are made for elementary students where safety factors are an issue.
- Door-to-door service is provided for Kindergarten students after school only. Bus stops are established in consideration of the location of students, traffic safety, and time efficiency.
- It is recommended that students arrive at their designated bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time. In order for students to arrive at school on time buses cannot wait. The school cannot be responsible for providing supervision at bus stops; students creating problems at bus stops may be denied riding privileges. MAPS follows progressive discipline policies for student misbehavior up to and including suspension from the bus. Please refer to your child’s school handbook for specific details.
- The school will be responsible for transporting students to two locations. Transportation to other locations is the responsibility of the parent.
- For the safe loading of buses, our elementary buildings have dismissal procedures including notification of change deadlines and an early pick-up deadline.
- Any notification of change of pick-up/drop off must be made by 2:30 PM on regular days and by 10:30 AM on half days. Late requests will not be accepted.
- Early pick-up must be done by 3:00 PM on regular days and by 11:00 AM on half days. This means that you may pick up your child before 3:00 PM/11:00 AM at any of the elementary buildings or after the dismissal times listed below.
MAPS Building Dismissal Times
Jefferson: 3:25 PM (11:35 AM Half Day
Kennedy: 3:10 PM (11:25 AM Half Day)
MMHS: 2:55 PM (11:08 AM Half Day)
Please keep in mind all our procedures are for student safety – thank you for your cooperation!