PikMyKid App for Grades 3 – 5
In seeking to improve student safety and simplify coordination of transportation plans, we learned of a tool called PikMyKid that can help us manage a safe and efficient dismissal process, while also providing real-time communication with families.
This program will be rolled out with our Kennedy Elementary families first, in our current building, in preparation for when we are able to bring all elementary students at one location at the new elementary school. This investment will assist us in delivering a streamlined process for safely managing a greater number of students all at one location.
Please ensure you have your most recent contact information in Powerschool before using the app. Contact Carly Cheever at 231-723-3271 with any changes.
What is PikMyKid?
- Parent App
- Easy-to-use school safety and dismissal platform
- A tool to communicate changes to the student’s transportation plan
- A method of announcing arrival to the carline
- Identifies what bus your student rides
Why are we doing this?
- Safety and efficiency
- Piloting for when we become a K-5 elementary school
How will this work?
- Parents download the PikMyKid app
- Identity dismissal preferences
- Announce your arrival through the app when entering the carline
When will this happen?
- Begin with walkers on Dec. 5th
- Car-line students Dec. 12th
- Bus riders Jan. 2023
How can I get started?
- Watch for the Car Tags in your student’s take-home folder on December 5th. This Car Tag has a code assigned to you and will need to go on your car’s dashboard.
- All families download the free “PikMyKid Parent” app at Google Play or iTunes.
- Register at https://parents.pikmykid.com (see help instructions below
- Access resources for learning about how the program works right in the app
- Enter your student’s transportation plan details
- Please ensure you have your most recent contact information in Powerschool before using the app. Contact Carly Cheever at 231-723-3271 with any changes.
- If needed, contact Parent App Support at firstname.lastname@example.org
DOWNLOAD THE PARENT APP GUIDE
How to Register
OTHER HELPFUL VIDEOS
Questions & Answers
How do I get started using the app?
- Download the free “PikMyKid Parent” app at Google-Play or iTunes
- Register at https://parents.pikmykid.com
- This Parent App Guide will walk you through everything you need to know for getting started: Parent App Guide
- You can also watch a video that can walk you through the steps to getting started: Watch Video
I am having difficulty getting started, how can I get help?
We’d appreciate your patience as we roll out this new program. The PikMyKid Parent Support Team is great for helping answer questions by emailing your questions to email@example.com. You can also reach out to Carly Cheever for assistance at the school at 231-723-3271.
What happens if I do not have a phone that will support the app?
If you do not have a device that will work with the app, your student can still participate in this program using a Car Tag we will provide. Contact Carly Cheever at 231-723-3271 for assistance.
How will this work for WALKERS?
How It Will Work:
- Walkers (students not picked up by a motor vehicle):
- Staff will escort walking students to the sidewalk on Madison Road.
- Families will be notified in the app when students are dismissed on the sidewalk on Madison Rd.
- PLEASE NOTE: This is method of dismissal does not connect students directly with an adult.
How will this work for students being PICKED UP?
How It Will Work:
- Motor Vehicle Pick-Up:
- Families will be given a Car Tag with a QR code to put on their dashboard.
- Families will arrive at the school and will line up in the pick-up line.
- Students being picked up will line up in the hallway and a list will be populated in the app notifying families where they are in the queue.
- Students that are next in line will be escorted to Bay 3, 4, or 5 on the sidewalk, and families will be notified that it is time to pull up. Families can only pull up to the pick-up bays when they receive notification.
- A staff member will record the QR code of the car picking up the student.
How will this work for BUS RIDERS?
How It Will Work:
- Bus Riders:
- Staff will indicate in the app when a student is dismissed to board their bus.
- Families will be notified when their student boards the bus.
Can I still have a friend or family member pick up my student?
Yes. This system provides families with the option to assign their student to various pickup modes including carpooling. You can do this whenever you need to. You can even add this change to recur daily, weekly, monthly, etc based on your pick-up schedule. Any changes can be made right in your calendar in the app.
Can I get additional car tags for other adults picking up my student?
Yes. You can request additional tags for other adults that have been given permission to pick up your student. Contact Carly Cheever at 231-723-3271 to request additional tags.
This system provides families with the option to assign their student to various pickup modes. You can even assign a daily, weekly, monthly, schedule based on your needs. Any additions or changes can be made right in your calendar in the app.
Does the PikMyKid app require my student to carry a phone?
Absolutely not. Students are not burdened with any aspect of dismissal planning, so your student doesn’t need to carry a cellphone or device of any sort. Additionally, PikMyKid does not use biometrics or any type of automated recognition for tracking.
What should I do if my phone is lost or stolen?
Please reach out to your school or PikMyKid immediately explaining the situation. You can reach out to Support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make sure to temporarily block your account until you’re able to get a new phone or find yours.
Need more information or have a question we have not answered?
Location: 1309 Madison Rd, Manistee, MI 49660 | Map
Telephone: (231) 723-3271
Fax: (231) 723-5879
School Office Hours: M-Th: 7:30am – 4pm, Friday 7:30am – 3pm
Principal: Joanie Wiersma email@example.com
Administrative Assistant: Carly Cheever firstname.lastname@example.org