Vision for Our Future
Manistee Area Public Schools seeks to create secure and efficient 21st century learning facilities supportive of our mission to provide an inclusive, high-quality, diverse educational environment that inspires and fulfills the goals of all learners at every stage of their journey.
A mission which includes community-wide commitment to provide a stable educational foundation, designed to support the needs of our students, families, businesses, and community for generations to come.
Follow each step as we outline the work that has come from our district visioning process and have your questions answered about MAPS district plan for the future.
Overview of MAPS 2020 Vision by Building
In spring 2019, MAPS presented three potential plans to the community and used the feedback received to refine a plan that we believe speaks to the focus of our stakeholders. We have also worked hard over the last several years with our administration and staff to establish guiding principles and define priorities for addressing the emerging needs of our students, all with the goal of building a solid educational foundation for the Manistee Community. The facilities plan chosen addresses this goal by creating efficient and supportive learning environments to create improved standards and meet the needs of our students for many years to come.
In a plan presented September 5, 2019, Manistee Area Public Schools outlined a vision for their facilities future. Learn about the proposed plans by building below.
A FUTURE FOR KENNEDY
SCOPE OF WORK: Renovate and Expand Current Kennedy Elementary
- Demolish 1927 Building
- Secure visitor entry and check-in
- Safe and secure academic wings
- Dedicated bus and parent pick-up/drop-off areas
- Building designed to meet modern educational standards
- Consolidated Pre-K to 5 Elementary
- Updated pick-up and drop-off routes
A FUTURE FOR MMHS
SCOPE OF WORK: Safety Improvements, priority renovations, and Middle School dedicated gym
- Safe and secure access points to academic wings
- Upgraded interior doors and hardware
- Middle School gym with dedicated locker rooms
- Exterior accessible storage for community track
- Inclusion of priority items in the 1-3 year facilities assessment
CURRENT GENERAL FUND PROJECTS:
- Secure entry vestibule
- Drop-off/pick-up reconfiguration
- New carpeting
- Interior finishes
- Exterior building caulking/sealing
A FUTURE FOR MADISON
SCOPE OF WORK: Community Learning Center & Administrative Offices
The Madison Community Learning Center has been reimagined as resource hub offering practical resources and innovative programs to meet the educational, health, social, and behavioral needs of students throughout our community. Current Partners:
- Great Lakes Virtual Academy
- Face to Face Homeschool
- Manistee ISD
With the relocation of Pre-school programming to the Kennedy Elementary Building, the MAPS administrative offices would be relocated to the Madison building. With minor alterations and needed mechanical updates, Madison will be at full capacity servicing many facets of student support.
- Minor building renovation to create administrative offices
- ADA renovation of toilet rooms
- Replace boiler and relocate A/C from Central Office
- Roof Replacement
A FUTURE FOR JEFFERSON
SCOPE OF WORK: Community Green Space & Recreation Hub
Located in a park-like, neighborhood setting, the property of Jefferson Elementary lends itself to the site for a shared community green space and necessary athletic/practice fields.
The green space could allow community organizations to collaboratively imagine a shared space to meet the needs of numerous recreational groups throughout our community.
A plan could include:
- Practice Football/Soccer Field
- Pickleball/Tennis Courts
- Softball Diamond
- Park/Playground Area
- Trail Hub