Chippewa Champions Volunteer Corp
Manistee Area Public Schools has the fortune of being surrounded by a community supportive of student achievement. Our MAPS community, family and friends have skills that are much needed in supporting our students throughout their Chippewa Journey. Chippewa Champions are our team of dedicated volunteers that bring their passion, dedication, and desire for positive impact to the lives of our students through their volunteer efforts.
Won’t you join us in becoming a Chippewa Champion?
Chippewa Champions News
We are always looking for “Champs” and we welcome you to reach out to our Staff to learn more about how you can get involved in your MAPS community. Email us to learn more about how you can get involved, and what you can expect as a volunteer.
Thank you for being a MAPS CHAMP!
Every Chip Needs a Champion
Chip Champs are Compassionate, Helpful, and Active Mentors who Positively impact MAPS through their Support of all students.
Become a Chippewa Champion
Under current school legislation and adopted MAPS School Board procedures, all school volunteers (mentors, classroom helpers, chaperones, etc.) need to go through an annual background check. We will be utilizing the state “ICHAT” system. All volunteers will need to submit their full name and date of birth to the office. Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about this, please contact the office. Remember, not only is this the law, it is intended to keep our children safe.
Some of the Ways You Can Help
- Assist in the library
- Chaperone field trips, events, dances, etc.
- Help students by tutoring/reviewing skills (reading, math discovery)
- Organize a student club or group
- Assist in the lunchroom, gym, or playground
- Organize an intermural sport
- Organize a weekly recess activity (kickball, soccer, basketball, other team sport)
- Mentor a student
- Read to students
- Assist teachers in preparation of instructional materials
- Teach a craft or hobby
- Talk about your occupation
- Assist with concessions during events
- Share cultural and ethnic background and experiences
- Help in the school office
MAPS Elementary ATP
Action Team for Partnership (ATP)
What is ATP?: ATP is our parent-teacher group for all of the MAPS Elementary buildings – Jefferson and Kennedy
Parents who become involved in their child’s education can make a positive difference. Contact Julia Raddatz firstname.lastname@example.org, or Joanie Wiersma email@example.com for more information or to join our ATP family.
What are the objectives of the ATP?
The Manistee Area Public Schools parent group Action Team for Partnership (ATP) is a group of dedicated parents that spearhead projects to benefit our students. It is similar to a Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) only a little more prescriptive and based on committees, including:
- Learning at Home
- Decision Making
- Community Collaboration
What does ATP do?
We fundraise to help support our schools and students. We pay for field trips, school supplies, recess/playground equipment, books, staff appreciation activities, and more! We also organize many family events: Fall Carnival, Daddy-Daughter and Mother-Son nights, Holiday Caroling, Birthday Lunches, Book Fairs, and Santa Shop are some examples.
ATP Points Tracker
Starting January 2019, ATP is starting a point tracker for volunteers!
How do I earn points?
- Every ATP event (popcorn day, slushy day, winter carnival, etc.) every 2 hours you volunteer, you earn 1 point.
- For showing up to our ATP meeting that’s once a month, you earn 1 point.
- For suggesting a friend to volunteer & they show up for at least 2 hours, you earn 1 point.
All the points you earn will be entered for a drawing. At the end of the year, we will choose two winners. We hope to have a ton of volunteers!